Sunday, January 5, 2014

Website that I Would Not Want to Live Without...Discovery Education

One of the main reasons that I appreciate Discovery Education's website, www.discoveryeducation.com, is that true learning is modeled and valued. I have been using this website for many years, and I am amazed to find new features every time that I log in. I believe that this is the most powerful K-12 instructional tool, and I'll list some reasons for this:

  • Common Core Library
  • Discovery Education Network for Teachers (DEN)
    • A place for teachers to collaborate, create, and learn together through blogs, events, meet-ups, and video chats
    • Every Month, DE offers a Community Calendar of Events, check out January's events!
  • Streaming Plus Library 
    • Allows for narrow searches that will find resources to reach all learning styles and interests
  • Board Builder
    • This is now available for teachers and students!
    • An virtual poster board that allows for up to 5 of your own media files to be uploaded
    • You can learn more about how to use Board Builder with students, by attending an upcoming January 21st webinar.
  • Virtual Field Trips and Webinars
    • These are always available in an archived section, as well. 
    • Check out this Kyle Schutt's Scoopit - http://www.scoop.it/t/devfts

When I started to reach out to other educators through the Discovery Education Network, my world did get rounder! In fact, it is through these friendships that I found the encouragement and inspiration to seek out a Master's Degree in Educational Technology. This led me to a new adventure of coaching and inspiring teachers to remember to be lifelong learners that use critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and communication with their colleagues and students!

Truly grateful for the DEN!




1 comment:

  1. ... and I glad I've gotten to meet and learn alongside of you because of the DEN.

    ReplyDelete